I have been cooking up some healthy meal ideas in 2016 and this is one of my favorites. Nutrient dense and full of protein, good fat and healthy carbs, this eggs and garlic kale dish paired with charred tomato is also flavorful and satisfying. Healthy cooking doesn’t mean making boiled chicken and plain brown rice meal after meal. Cooking healthy food is actually really fun but can require a bit more thought at times. That doesn’t mean it has to be complicated. I prefer to come up with recipes that are easy to execute for anyone.
Eggs are one of my favorite forms of protein. They can be made in a number of ways like soft boiled, poached, fried and more (hard boiled eggs are great to have on hand as a grab and go snack). Plus, eggs are cheap so you get more “bang for your buck” with eggs. We like to use the whole egg (you certainly do not have to) because the egg yolk contains so many valuable nutrients. Actually, the egg yolks contain 100% of the fat soluble vitamins A, D, E and K as well as all the carotenoids, lutein and zeaxanthin found in an egg. So you lose all of that nutrition when you omit the egg yolk. In addition, they give great flavor to a dish.
2 Eggs (we like pasture raised, organic)
4 Small Campari Tomatoes Cut Into Quarters (or 1 medium tomato)
1.5 Tsp Olive Oil
3 Cups Baby Kale Roughly Chopped (or chopped kale)
1/2 Clove Garlic (minced)
1/4 C Short Grain Brown Rice (uncooked)
*Omit the brown rice for paleo or to reduce calorie intake. Add extra kale + olive oil to replace.
Salt + Pepper To Taste (we used smoked black pepper for added flavor)
1. Make your rice (according to the directions on your rice box or packet) – Set aside
2. Heat a pan on medium with the olive oil until hot
3. Saute your garlic and kale in 1 tsp olive oil until kale is slightly al dente, season with salt and pepper – once kale is sautéed, set aside
4. Place tomatoes into pan that you cooked the kale in and let charr, season with salt and pepper (allow them to char on each side – about 1 – 2 minutes on each) – set aside
5. Make your eggs – sauté in about 1/2 tsp olive oil – let set to your desired “tenderness”
Plate Your Dish:
Place the rice on the bottom of the plate with the kale on top. Top that mix with the eggs and surround the dish with the charred tomato.
The perfect bite includes a bit of each ingredient – egg, kale, tomato and brown rice.
Easy Substitutions and Add Ons:
– Feel free to substitute with spinach for kale or use any spices you see fit.
– Add protein – grilled chicken or fish instead of eggs would change the flavor. Grilled beef tenderloin would also be a wonderful combination with the spinach and tomato.
– A sriracha drizzle would provide a nice spicy aspect to this meal.
– Please note that additions and or substitutions may change the calorie count of this dish.
Calories Per Serving – 490, Servings Per Recipe – 1